Getting Published Resources
I) If you want a big book deal with a big publisher, you need an agent
(Note: I pitched agents, got requests for manuscript but never got an offer. Eventually, a small press bought my book)
A) generating your list of agents
1) ask contacts on Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, friends, etc -- a referral is best!
2) Find comparable or similar authors
then find their agents:
3) search agents by genre:
4) Other sources of Agents
- good searches for debut fiction authors:
Agent's Manuscript Wish List: https://mswishlist.com/
4) check conferences to see who is actively looking for new writers and to expand their list.
List of conferences:
5) Other ways to get an agent besides querying:
6) Process of querying: emailing strategy (old but good)
B) Vetting Agents
- Always double check agents' sites to see if still taking queries, still in the business
- On Publishersmarketplace.com check for:
*sales in your genre
*may not want to ditch a new agent, but good to know what their experience is -- if they respond to your query, ask who they would pitch your book to.
- Preditors and Editors: pred-ed.com
(off line right now, promises to be back, but has Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/prededitors/
C) If you get an offer:
- The contract: https://thewritelife.com/sign-with-a-literary-agent-contract/
- more info http://aaronline.org/FAQ
II) Small presses
Note: many small presses now require an agent.
A) Lists of small presses
Google: "Best Small Presses"
https://www.pw.org/small_presses (sortable by genres)
https://www.newpages.com/books/publishers (both university and small presses)
Be sure to visit the small press's website, take out a book by one of their authors, try to contact an author (tried this and didn't have much luck)
III) Other options
When I looked in 2016, I didn't find many that took novels – some take poetry and memoir.
Enter a contest (usually includes upfront fees)
IV) More than you want to know about how I got my first book published, including tips on query letters, agents, etc.
My other website: http://www.theloneliestplanet.com